Here Are Museums to Visit in Konya to Your Discovery
THE INCE MINARE MUSEUM
located in the norht of Alaaddin mosque, was built during the reign of the Seljuk ruler Izzeddin Keykuvas II by the Seljuk vizier Sahib Ata Fahreddin Ali as a madrasah to be thought the Hadith study in 1254. It was designed by the architect Kellük bin Abdullah. The stone door which is a masterpiece of stone work of Seljuk is decorated with Seljuk ornamentation written Yasin and Fatih Qur’anic chapters decorated by embossed with geometric and naturel decorations. The internal side of the building consists of courtyard, pavillion, classrooms, and student hostels. Minaret bases were built by hewn stone with brick materials. It has double minaret balcony that is made half pyramit shaped triangle and twelve angled and its body corners are turquoise blue glazed bricks. Its was destroyed up to the first balcony because of a thunderbolt in 1901. It became a public museum in 1956, wherein wooden and stone works of the Rulers of the Seljuk and Ottoman periods are displayed.
THE KARATAY MUSEUM
The Karatay museum, located near to the Ince Minare museum, was built by Emir Jelaleddin Karatay who voiced out his name as an outstanging statesman as Sahib Ata Fahreddin Ali through his artistic features of works in 1251. The Karatay museum, which is its architect unknown, was served as a madrasah in Ottoman period unti the end of the 19th century. The Karatay madrasah which is having a considerable role about tile works in the period of Anatolia Seljuk, tuned into a public museum in 1955 as “A Museum of Tile Works”. In Karatay Museum, the excavation findings; wall tiles, tile and glass plates in Kubadabat Palace wherein Beyşehir lake coast and tile, porcelain plates, lamps, gypsum findings in Konya and its around of the Seljuk period and Ottoman periods are displayed in the museum.
THE SIRCALI MEDRESE MUSEUM
The Sircali Medrese which is from a Seljuk period was built by Bedreddin Muhlis in 1242, as a school for the Fıqh (Islamic Jurisprudence). It became a public museum in 1960 as a “Tomb Monuments Museum” is one of the museums decorated by tiles. Historically and artistically significant tombstones which were excavated from graveyards that were expropriated in the city of Konya are classified through its period like Seljuks, Beyliks and Ottomans and are displayed. Even more the tombstones are cronologically classified by its shape, pattern and letter types.
Konya Archaeology Museum was opened in Karma Secondary School in 1901. later it was moved to Mevlâna museum in 1927 was moved to Iplikci mosque in 1953 finally the present building was constructed in 1962. Works of art belonging to the Neolithic, Early Bronze, Middle Bronze (Asur trade colonies) Iron (Phyrigian, Urartu), Early Hittite, Roman, Greek and Byzantine periods are displayed in the museum. Roman sarcophagus are worth seeing in the archaeology. Altar tombs from the Roman and Byzantine periods are displayed in its courtyard and inside. Embossing excavations which were made by the museum management the findings which is about church floor mosaics belongs to 6th century A.C. in Sille Tatköy and Çumra Alibeyhöyük were removed from there and displayed in the museum.
The building which was built as a region museum for education purposes was opened as ethnographic museum in 1975. there are, at the ground of the three floored building, photographs, archieves, belongings, study research stores. At the ground floor there is a wide display room. This museum exhibits significant local handicrafts, ethnographic pieces which were collected from Konya and its around.
KOYUNOGLU MUSEUM AND LIBRARY
A.R. Izzet KOYUNOGLU who is one of the old and well-known families in Konya has established a museum and a library for significant books and historical works which he had collected for years in his house in Topraklik subdistrict. Later he had donated library and museum which he had established to Metropolitan Municipality of Konya. The museum was constructed and formed as the present complex by Metropolitan Municipality of Konya to respond every requirements of modern museum manners. Archeological and ethnographic works are displayed in the museum. The house which belongs to Izzet Koyunuğlu in the courtyard of the museum was restorated and opened to public as a model of the classic houses of Konya. The old and the new civil architecture style are combined in the building. The museum are rather rich in manuscripts and printed works.
The house which is located in Ataturk street was built in 1912. The building which is a sample of 20th century national architectures was presented to Ataturk in 1928 by the people of Konya. It was opened to public as a museum in 1954. Ataturk’s belongings, oficial documents which tell the situation of the people of Konya in the national liberation war and chronological photographs are displayed in the museum.
The library which is located at the west of the Selimiye Mosque was built by Kethuda Yusuf Aga in 1795. The library has been serving with its unique manuscripts to those researchers who come from all over the world.